5.02.2008

summer days

I think probably my favorite thing of summer is BBQing. It brings me a much joy to know that I can hang with the big boys when it comes to this summer tradition. I love it so much it's almost a zen for me.

Today was the perfect day..it wasn't too sunny and hot. There was a mild overcast that warns of evening showers, so the breeze was just cool enough to take the edge off the heat. I love stacking the coals and getting the heat to just the right temperature and the sizzle of the food as it hits the hot grill. I even busted out the watermelon and veggie tray, some mustard potato salad and the chips with ranch dip.

Mmm ...left overs.


I can't say there's much else to report. I watched Cloverfield last night and can I just say....Disappointment? I watched the interviews afterwards and was offended at the arrogance of the creators thinking that "they" had made the American Monster. It wasn't even that great. I'm sick to death of this age of CGI. It's completely unbelievable. Can we go back to the days of Special FX plz? I'm disgusted. Do they think we're scared? I was more on the edge of my seat when I didn't see the damn "monster". When I finally caught a glimpse of it I felt like I was watching an episode of Power Rangers.

They make a Monster Stew, using all the elements of the great monster movies and say they "pioneered" something? Are you serious? First of all, if you'd like to "scare" me...go have a 10 min conversation with the creators of Alien. mk? The dude's name escapes me at the moment and yes, you can shoot me now...sue me, I'm tired >.< (we all know as soon as I hit "publish post" it'll come to me and I'll smack my forehead) but he developed a "monster" that would scare the shit out of me if I saw it....and it wasn't CGI! At least not this crap they're selling us these days... I never once saw the outline of the Alien monster against what I could easily tell was a green screened background. Hello? I can Paint Shop pro better than these guys.

I feel like the Archie Bunker of Horror Movies..the 1/2 of the Critics from the Muppet Show. I want to throw my popcorn bowl at the screen at nearly every "horror" movie I see lately.

But anyyyyway...enough of my venting....time for more BBQ!

5 comments:

Ron said...

Alien was written by the brilliant and slightly crazy Dan O'Bannon. O'Bannon did SFX for George Lucas on Star Wars and his USC student film was Dark Star, which was also launched by Kentucky boy John Carpenter.

When he was working on a version of the movie Dune that never got made, he was put in charge of special effects and went to Paris where he worked with HR Giger and Moebius. Giger provided the inspiration for the Alien and did a bunch of the design, and Carlo Rambaldi did the actual animatronics.

and also, where's my burger?

unsaintly: said...

Giger! -head smack- that's who I was thinking of.

Ron said...

That's how our relationship works out. You're the beauty and the brains, and I'm the useless pop culture dumpster. It's a good trait for a sidekick.

The Sainted said...

I wish it were summer here. :( But! Few weeks and I can experience it early! :D BBQing was always the special tradition in my family. The time when everyone gets together and just relaxes and hangs out. I just wish it would warm up finally here. -.- Ahh well, soon enough!

And Ron has all the best traits for a sidekick. I'm always amazed at your collection of knowledge!

The Sainted said...

Ok addendum to yesterday. We're BBQing as we speak. Weird ass weather. :P Thank you for giving me the idea to nag them. <3333